Sunday, June 6, 2010

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 06th June '10 - Teenage Fanclub - Mellow Doubt

In life people will always have their favourite song that makes them feel all romantic. Whether it be 'Love Story' by Taylor Swift, 'Something' by The Beatles or 'Strangers In The Night' by Frank Sinatra, to name but three, love songs have always been a staple of music and something that people can generally relate to. I am no exception. I have a huge romantic, soppy side but being typically me my favourite love song of all time is by a Scottish band that have had some minor hits in the UK but aren't too well known by the masses.

'Mellow Doubt' by Teenage Fanclub was written during the recording of their album 'Grand Prix' when band member Norman Blake fell for one of the girls working in the house they were staying in while recording in the studio in the building. He felt very shy and awkward about expressing just how he felt for her as the band were only there a month and he felt it would seem a bit crazy to express love for someone he'd just met. The song ended up being recorded for the album and, on the morning they were due to leave, he put a copy of the recording of the song on cassette with a note with his address and phone number on it and left it on her bed. She heard the song, got in touch and then they ended up getting together.

By the time I'd heard the back story to the song I already loved the track and believed it to be, in my opinion, the best love song I'd ever heard. The story behind it just made it even more so.

Now I've not been the luckiest in love in my life but it doesn't stop me from feeling all soppy and this song really does make me soppy. I hope it channels your inner romantic streak too!!! Enjoy!!


Teenage Fanclub - Mellow Doubt

It gives me pain, when I think of you
And the things together that we'll never do
At first it's cold, and then it's hot
Tried to be someone that I know I'm not

I'm in trouble, and I know it
How I'm feeling, I can't show it
But these feelings, don't go away

I remember you, lines on your face.
Sharing a moment in the perfect place.
I'm deep in your eyes, and inside your head.
And I try to reach you, when I'm in my bed.

I'm in trouble, and I know it
How I'm feeling, I can't show it
But these feelings, don't go away

There is no choice, in what I must do.
Nothing is greater than to be with you.

I'm in trouble, and I know it
How I'm feeling, I can't show it
But these feelings, don't go away


Teenage Fanclub - Mellow Doubt

No comments: