Saturday, July 31, 2010

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 31st July '10 - The Wildhearts - Beautiful Thing You

Last week I blogged about the Pink track 'Glitter In The Air' which is a brilliantly simple love song. Delicate and not over the top melodically, it hit the nail of love on the head really well. This week I have another love song but this time it's one with loud guitars and drums that really rocks, yet it still has some amazingly romantic lyrics and doesn't lose the sense of romance for one moment.

I've already featured The Wildhearts a couple of times in my blog but for me they're such an amazing band and their lead singer Ginger, in my opinion, is the greatest singer/songwriter of his generation.

'Beautiful Thing You' is one of the B-sides from the 'Suckerpunch' single released in 1994. The Wildhearts have always had B-Sides that are just as good as anything they've put on an album which makes every single as worthy a purchase as the albums themselves. 'Suckerpunch' also includes the classic Wildhearts track '29 x The Pain' which is a firm fan favourite and one of my top songs of all time, but 'Beautiful Thing You' is a great song of romance and the uncertainties of it.

Not only does the song have great lyrics but it also has a brilliant, catchy melody which helps keep it stuck in your head. Add to that a hefty slice of rocking riffs and you'll be humming it, bouncing around and singing away all week. This is why I have loved this band as much as I have for the last 17 years. Also Ginger's solo work is also amazing and he's great live too. The highlight of every year is Ginger's Birthday Bash. Held on his birthday, 17th December, he always puts on a great show with guest performers doing a mix of his material from outside of The Wildhearts, Wildhearts songs and then songs he just really loves. To get your ticket for this years Birthday Bash in London go here -> http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_london&query=detail&event=401029 it's well worth it!

Two videos this week as the live one's audio is a bit muffled so there's also a regular audio version too. The live one, though, does capture the energy of the band so is worth watching.

I hope you all enjoy this week's song. I think it shows you can be romantic while still rockin' your socks off!!

The Wildhearts - Beautiful Thing You

And in the time it takes to feel,
I could swear that you get closer every day
And my only hope is when it all comes real,
I don't fuck it up and throw it all away
cos every time the chaos starts (time after time)
A message screams into my heart
We're always an ocean apart.
You're always in my heart

Oh-woah-woah you beautiful thing you
You beautiful thing you, you beautiful thing
Oh-woah-woah you beautiful thing you
You beautiful thing you, you beautiful thing

And I console myself when life is throwing spears,
There's a growing of the spirit deep inside
And the part of me that smells you getting near,
Trying patiently to break the great divide
And if I fall Im only down (I face the sky)
I'll be there second time around
To practice the balance I've found,
I'll always be around

Oh-woah-woah you beautiful thing you
You beautiful thing you, you beautiful thing
Oh-woah-woah you beautiful thing you
You beautiful thing you, you beautiful thing

Always an ocean apart
You're always in my heart

Oh-woah-woah you beautiful thing you
You beautiful thing you, you beautiful thing
Oh-woah-woah you beautiful thing you
You beautiful thing you, you beautiful thing
(You beautiful thing)
You beautiful thing
(You beautiful thing)
You beautiful thing



No comments: