Sunday, August 15, 2010

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 15th August '10 - New Kids On The Block - Call It What You Want (The C&C Pump It Mix)

This week, for the third year running, New Kids On The Block sold out their May Bahamas Cruise. 2,600 fans all get to spend four days on a cruise round the Bahamas with the band. This year it sold out in a record 1 hour & 41 minutes! Not bad for a boyband who made a comeback in 2008 having split up 14 years earlier.

It was when I was nine-years-old that New Kids On The Block first broke on the music scene in the UK and I was hooked from the start. With a type of pop music that, at the time, seemed like nothing I had ever heard before and the band members all being pretty young compared to some of the pop stars at the time, they felt like something I could relate to.

At the time my favourite member was Joe. He was only seven years older than me so, for me, I figured I had more chance of him dating me than the others. Admittedly, at nine-years-old, the chances of a 16-year-old dating me were beyond remote and the fact he was an American pop star made it even less likely but a girl could dream!

Over the following few years my room became practically a shrine to the band. I lived, breathed, slept New Kids. Finally, in 1991, I got to see them perform live at Wembley Arena. It didn't matter to me at the time that I was sat right at the very back because I was still in the same room as them. Aside from being my first concert, it was just such an electric experience from start to finish. I sang, I screamed, I cried, I got over excited at Joe McIntyre's 'thrusting' during the song that, this week, has been stuck in my head and I'd certainly say that, for the 11-year-old me, the funny feelings it gave me inside were my first real sexual feelings.

Within a couple of years it was all over. The band had split up and I moved on to Take That and then other bands besides (I'd like to also state that by the time I was screaming for NKOTB at Wembley I was also a HUGE Nirvana fan).

I remember as a kid not understanding why, in the 60's, girls had screamed and cried for The Beatles but after that concert I understood.

Over the last few years bands like Take That and the Spice Girls have gotten back together for reunion shows, albums etc. When I saw those guys I was still wishing I could get to see New Kids On The Block again so when I heard that their site had come back online in early 2008 I had to check it out. After sitting there in stunned silence watching the video clip on their site of old footage of them live and photos I was then seen running round the house all excited and hyper. This was not because of the footage but because of what was playing over it. Music. New sounding music. New sounding music with vocals on with five voices I recognised. I knew there and then that they were back. My younger self suddenly sparked into life.

Since that moment I've gotten their new album, saw them live in HMV in Oxford Street, London, then got to see them live at the sold-out O2 Arena in London on my birthday last year and then the following night at Hammersmith Apollo. I've made some amazing new friends and always enjoy seeing the guys post on Twitter.

I didn't make the cruise this year but hope to make it some other time, though I'm toying with the idea of heading to Miami for the pre-cruise show that'll be put on. I hope I get to see them live again and don't really ever want this to end as the new music's so good. I don't think it's ever good to let go of your inner child and if something like music can bring it out of you then that's all for the better.

There's two videos this week. One is the official video and one is them performing on the much missed Top Of The Pops just cos it reminds me of my childhood even more.

I hope you enjoy this slice of my childhood!


New Kids On The Block - Call It What You Want (The C&C Pump It Mix)

Call it what you want
Call it what you want

Call it what you want, but I'll call it love
Fits like a glove, don't shove
Back and forth, and forth and back, get into the track
Feel the groove or move back
Into position 'cause I'm coming straight for your heart
Feel the vibe and let's start
'Cause I want you and I know that you want me, so let's get busy

Na na na na na na na na na (You sing)
Na na na na na na na na na (You sing)

I can tell you've been watching me
Girl, I've been watching you too
I got the feeling you want my love
I must admit I want your love too

Call it what you want, baby
Girl, I call it love
Call it what you want, darling
I'll still call it love

You know there's something about you girl
What it is, is kinda hard to say
I only wish we could get away
Give me love and I'll lead the way

Call it what you want, baby
Girl, I call it love
Call it what you want, darling
I'll still call it love

Na na na na na na na na na (You sing) Louder!
Na na na na na na na na na

It's so groovy, just to be with you
It's so good babe, just to dance or anything that you want to do

Na na na na na na na na na (You sing) Louder!
Na na na na na na na na na (You sing)

I can feel it, I can feel it
I can feel it, I can feel that love, girl

It's so groovy, just to be with you
It's so good baby, just to dance or anything that you want to do

Call it what you want
I'll still call it love
Call it anything that you want, girl
I'll still call it love

You can call it this, you can call it that
You can call it anything, girl

Call it what you want, baby
Girl, I call it love
Call it what you want, darling
I'll still call it love

Call it what you want, baby
Girl, I call it love
Call it what you want, darling
I'll still call it love

Call it what you want, baby
Girl, I call it love
Call it what you want, darling
I'll still call it love



1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You hit it exactly on the button. I was the same way back then, first time I saw Joey I was GONE. He was my first real physical crush.

I'm so glad NKOTB got back together.