Sunday, January 2, 2011

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 02nd January '11 - Nick Stephenson - Mine's A Simple Mind

Nick Stephenson is not only a wonderful human being and a dear friend, but he is also one of the most amazing singer/songwriters I have encountered in recent times.

Last month he finally released his long awaited debut album 'Dream Logic'. Chock full of beautiful and magical songs it is well worth everyone having a copy in their music collection.

In theory it is hard to pick which song to put up on here from the album. Opening track 'Better Than Any Drug' is a great song of the powers of true love. 'Mountain', my favourite on the album, is just such a beautiful song with lines I wish a guy would use on me some time as I'd fall for them instantly. The classic 'Poor Little Boy' which I blogged about last April (http://songstuckinmyheadthisweek.blogspot.com/2010/04/song-stuck-in-my-head-this-week-25th.html/). The tender 'Midnight Movements'. So many great songs, however the choice is made simpler by the fact that Nick doesn't have many videos of him and his music on YouTube, something I hope he rectifies in 2011. I also hope he starts posting lyrics online too so I don't have to keep hoping I've got them right!!

In the meantime you can always hear his songs on his MySpace page http://www.myspace.com/nickstephensonmusic/ and find out information about him either there or on his facebook page http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=255649986329/

However I hope you enjoy this week's song and give the rest of his stuff a listen too!!

Nick Stephenson - Mine's A Simple Mind

Good memories
Debating friends
Isolation
The good times end
But inside is a knowing smile
Not needing to speak at all
If he knew how to change their minds he might go out
It's not easy to change the ones who'll put you down

Was hiding the best of moves
He hears the sounds but he's not in their shoes
And the brain works a simple spell
No pretentions or pointless tales
If he knew how to change their minds he might go out
It's not easy to change the ones who'll put you down
As fate works in a funny old way
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy
And who wants to take another crack at this one

Righteous children pinned to their chairs
Sad opinions
Lonely affairs
Vegetating
Barely alive
Happy living nine to five
I can't criticise
Or rationalise
For mine's a simple mind
I can't criticise
Or rationalise
For mine's a simple mind
Mine's a simple mind

No comments: