Saturday, July 4, 2009

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 04th July '09 - The Jeevas - Once Upon A Time In America

A bit late this week as I went to see Blur in Hyde Park yesterday (they were glorious...though Damon needs to ditch the gold front tooth thing as it looks stupid) and then spent time in London today with my friend whose place I stayed at last night.

This week I've had a song wedged in my head by the band who were formed out of the ashes of now re-formed 90s indie-pop band Kula Shaker. The Jeevas were fronted by Crispian Mills and made a couple of really great albums before he got Kula Shaker back together.

Crispian was often mocked by the press and public for his 'hippy' tendancies but, once you got past all that, I think you'll find he's actually a really great and descriptive songwriter. Someone who can paint a picture in a few words (something I feel is key to writing great songs - though not the be all and end all of it).

I only discovered The Jeevas because I wanted to know what Crispian was doing musically as I didn't believe that Kula Shaker would have split and then he'd have disappeared forever but I have a sneaking suspicion that The Jeevas past many by which is, in my opinon, a great shame.

I now look forward to the fourth Kula Shaker album (the last one, 'Strangefolk', was fabulous) and to seeing what Crispian comes up with next.

I would also like to add that this song was not a deliberate choice for todays date...merely a fortunate coincidence...enjoy!

The Jeevas - Once Upon A Time In America

Sometimes its hard to be there,
Sometimes its hard to lie,
'Cos I've seen right through the country,
And through the all-seein' eye,
And through the all-seein' eye.

Oh there was a man he sang so pretty,
He loved me for two thousand years,
Why'd he come to New York City?
Once upon a time in America,
Once upon a time in America.

Well he said, you'd all come back again,
He said "Its hard to see",
We belong to all God's countries,
Once upon a time in America,
Once upon a time in America.

They found a piece of paradise,
And built a city there,
They didn't want to see the future,
Once upon a time in America,
Once upon a time in America.

Well he said, we'd all come back again,
This is the land of the free!
We belong to all God's countries,
Once upon a time in America,
Once upon a time in America.

Once upon a time in America
Once upon a time in America
Once upon a time in America
America

He said you'd all come back again,
This is the land of the free!
We longed to walk God's countries
Once upon a time in America
Once upon a time in America
Once upon a time in America
Once upon a time in America

No comments: