Friday, June 26, 2009

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 27th June '09 - Coconut Records - Microphone

In a week when we have lost a musical legend in the passing of Michael Jackson, it reminds everyone of just how important music can be to people. How it, and the people who perform it, can captivate the imagination, the emotion and the soul. Music is, and always has been, a huge part of my life since I was a small child (I still remember when 'Thriller' first came out and blew the world away) and that is why I like to write this blog every week to highlight songs I love. Whether they are new or old, it doesn't matter, only that I love them.

In this week where the news has helped us remember the past, I have something new to help us look to the future too.

Though most people know Jason Schwartzman as an actor, staring in films such as 'The Darjeeling Limited', 'Rushmore' & 'I ♥ Huckabees', I first encountered him through his former band 'Phantom Planet'.

I happened to see the video for their song 'California' (the theme tune to the tv show 'The OC' - I've never seen that myself mind you) and was struck by how much their drummer resembled Keith Moon, the original drummer for my favourite band The Who, and decided to find out more. I searched online only to find that he'd actually left the band to pursue his acting career.

Then, in 2007, he started a new solo music project called 'Cocnut Records' which was basically him writing and recording his own material with the occasional help of friends such as actress & singer Zooey Deschanel (someone else whose music I adore).

Jason proved to be more than just a brilliant drummer, he's also a great singer-songwriter too and I lapped up his debut release 'Nighttiming'.

This year saw the release of the second Coconut Records album 'Davy' and the first time I heard this weeks song I was hooked. It's one of those songs I can put on loop and listen to for ages. Just sweet and simple it seems to burrow its way into your head and stays there. I really love it and I hope you love it too!

Coconut Records - Microphone

Slow down, you are out of control
One of us is right, and one of us is wrong
And, I know that you're not coming home
There's nowhere to park, after it gets dark, yeah
Can't tell what I want when you sing
So keep it to yourself, I haven't missed anything

You are my voice, my microphone
You are my voice, so take me on
You are my voice

Slow down, you are out of control
It could be so easy if it didn't feel so wrong
And, warmed up and your hair is too long
What if I was young? What if I was younger?
And so, finally she showed
I never should have asked, it was a long time ago

You are my voice, my microphone
You are my voice, so take me on
You are my voice
You are my voice

You are my voice, my microphone
You are my voice my microphone
You are my voice, so take me on
You are my voice, my microphone

You are my voice
You are my voice
You are my voice

One of us is right, and one of us is wrong
One of us is right, and one of us is wrong


Microphone - Official Video

No comments: