Saturday, February 20, 2010

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 20th February '10 - The Humblebums - Her Father Didn't Like Me Anyway

A few years back when Led Zeppelin had their big one-off reunion gig where the tickets were over £100 each before they even made it to e-bay I was going round telling people that, quite honestly, the only one-off reunion gig I'd pay that kind of money for would be The Humblebums. 'The who?' you might ask and I'd point out that The Who were a different band from the 60's who I blogged about a few weeks back (lame joke I know but I couldn't help it).

The Humblebums were, in fact, a Scottish folk group from Glasgow. The band line up was Tam Harvey on guitar, Billy Connolly on banjo, guitar and vocals and then joining them slightly later was Gerry Rafferty on vocals.

They recorded so many brilliant, yet not very successful music and that means that they have been greatly overlooked in the grand scheme of thing which I think is such a shame.

My dad saw them live back then and I grew up listening to their music. If I could just have the one chance to hear and see them perform live then it would be amazing....though I know the chances of that are even slimmer than Led Zep doing another of their one-off gigs (and the chances of that are pretty remote) so all I can do is enjoy the music and try to share it.

The song I've got for you is one of Gerry's compositions but Billy's ones are fantastic too and not all humorous and jokey as you would perhaps expect from a guy who went on to be an internationally successful comedian.

I hope you enjoy it and check out some of their other songs!!


The Humblebums - Her Father Didn't Like Me Anyway

The coat she wore still lies upon the bed
The book I gave her that she never read
She left without a single word to say
Her father didn’t like me anyway.

She always wanted more than I could give
She wasn’t happy with the way we lived
I didn’t feel like asking her to stay
Her father didn’t like me anyway.

Daddy never knew just what she’d seen in me
Daddy didn’t like my hair
Perhaps if we had talked, he’d have seen something in me
But Daddy didn’t really care.

To tell the truth I didn’t have the nerve
I know I only got what I deserved
So now she’s taken leave of me today
Her father didn’t like me anyway.

Daddy never knew just what she’d seen in me
Daddy didn’t like my hair
Perhaps if we had talked, he’d have seen something in me
But Daddy didn’t really care.

The coat she wore still lies upon the bed
The book I gave her that she never read
She left without a single word to say
Her father didn’t like me anyway.

No comments: