Saturday, February 27, 2010

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 27th February '10 - Blind Melon - Candy Says

'Candy Says' is the opening track of the eponymous album by The Velvet Underground and is about the transexual, Candy Darling, who was part of Andy Warhol's Factory. I first remember hearing the song, however, as the b-side to the Blind Melon single 'Change'.

I have often felt that Blind Melon were overlooked musically because of the huge commercial success of the song 'No Rain' as well as lead singer Shannon Hoon's friendship with Guns N' Roses lead singer Axl Rose. However, by the time of their second album 'Soup' they were starting to experiment with their sound and veering away from the alt rock style that they'd had on their first album.

Sadly we'll never know where they could've gone from there as Shannon Hoon died of an overdose in October '95, just 13 weeks after the birth of his daughter Nico Blue and now they seem to be nothing more than a vague memory to the majority of people which I feel is a shame.

ThIs cover version of 'Candy Says' is just brilliant in my mind and what makes me even happier is that, when searching for a video or audio track on youtube to accompany this blog I found the actual footage of them recording the version I have on my cd single from all those years ago which was only put online in the last week so I do hope you all enjoy it!!


Blind Melon - Candy Says

Candy says I've come to hate my body
And all that it requires in this world
Candy says I'd like to know completely
What others so discreetly talk about

I'm gonna watch the blue birds fly over my shoulder
I'm gonna watch them pass me by
Maybe when I'm older
What do you think I'd see
If I could walk away from me

Candy says I hate the quiet places
That cause the smallest taste of what will be
Candy says I hate the big decisions
That cause endless revisions in my mind

I'm gonna watch the blue birds fly over my shoulder
I'm gonna watch them pass me by
Maybe when I'm older
What do you think I'd see
If I could walk away from me

No comments: