Saturday, February 19, 2011

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 19th February '11 - Nancy Sinatra - Sugar Town

For this song being in my head I have to place some of the blame on the gorgeous little head of actress Zooey Deschanel. If it wasn't for her singing it in the movie '(500) Days Of Summer' (an excellent film by the way) then I might well have never heard it. Also it would have meant that whenever I think of the film this song instantly pops into my head and, as I've been thinking about the film a lot this week, I've been thinking about the song. So it's all Zooey's fault!

Nancy Sinatra was born in 1940 and is the eldest child of the late, great singer Frank Sinatra. Despite her lineage, Nancy's career didn't automatically take off. Despite signing to Reprise Records in 1961 and releasing several singles they all failed to do particularly well and by 1965 Nancy was on the verge of being dropped. Then she began to work with Lee Hazlewood, a renowned producer, songwriter and arranger who had been making hit records for stars such as Duane Eddy for a decade by that point. Hazlewood changed Nancy's sound and singing style and, along with a Carnaby Street-esque make-over, she began to have hits, leading off in early 1966 with the anthemic 'These Boots Are Made For Walkin''. A flurry of hits soon followed including 'Sugar Town' which became her second single to sell over a million copies.

Nancy continued to make music, as well as work in both film and television, until the mid-70's when she slowed down to concentrate on being a wife and mother. Periodically since the early 80's she has made music and even appeared in Playboy magazine in 1995!

'Sugar Town', for me, is a great little song that I just haven't stopped singing to myself all week. It's such a happy little ditty that you have to smile when you hear it. And it's still all Zooey's fault!

Hope you all enjoy it and I'll catch you all next week!

Nancy Sinatra - Sugar Town

I got some troubles but they won't last
I'm gonna lay right down here in the grass
And pretty soon all my troubles will pass
'cause I'm in shoo-shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo-shoo
Shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo Sugar Town

I never had a dog that liked me some
Never had a friend or wanted one
So I just lay back and laugh at the sun
'cause I'm in shoo-shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo-shoo
Shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo Sugar Town

Yesterday it rained in Tennessee
I heard it also rained in Tallahassee
But not a drop fell on little old me
'cause I was in shoo-shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo-shoo
Shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo Sugar Town

If I had a million dollars or ten
I'd give to ya, world, and then
You'd go away and let me spend
My life in shoo-shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo-shoo
Shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo Sugar Town
la-la-la-la to end

No comments: