Saturday, March 13, 2010

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 13th March '10 - Stina Nordenstam - Little Star

Stina Nordenstam and Nirvana are two musical acts that have extremely different genres of music. Yet, for me, they will always be linked. When watching coverage about the death of Kurt Cobain on MTV at a friends house in April '94, they had a featured artist of the day who happened to be Stina Nordenstam and I was just captivated by her music and have followed her work ever since.

Stina is a reclusive musician from Sweden who, over the years, has released music that she wanted to make whether people liked it or not that was utterly irrelevant to her as, for her, it was all about the music and the expression of what she was feeling.

Some of her work, like this track from her second album '...And She Closed Her Eyes' is a lot more accessible than, say, her third album 'Dynamite' or her eclectically performed covers album 'People Are Strange' but I love every bit of it.

Having not toured since her first album 'Memories Of A Color' in 1991, I would be totally shocked if I ever got the chance to see her perform but the music she has released so far is enough to keep me happy. My only hope is that she releases something new in the not too dim and distant future as it's been a few years since her last album.

The song this week is the first song of hers I ever heard back in 1994 called 'Little Star' which had a brief moment of fame when it was featured on the soundtrack to Baz Luhrmann's 'Romeo+Juliet' in 1996. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and that you check out more of her stuff!!


Stina Nordenstam - Little Star

Little star, so you had to go.
You must have wanted him to know.
You must have wanted the world to know
Poor little thing and now they know.

Little star,
I had to close my eyes.
There was a fire at the warehouse.
They're always waiting for a thing like this.
Came driving from all over town for you, little star.

Little star, so you had to go.
You must have wanted him to know.
You must have wanted the world to know
Poor little thing and now they know.

Laudamus, Adoramus Te, Domine
Laudamus, Benedicimus, Domine Deus.
Laudamus, Benedicimus, Domine Deus.
Cum Sancto Spiritu, in gloria Dei Patris

For you, little star.

No comments: