Sunday, November 14, 2010

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 15th November '10 - Joanna Newsom - On A Good Day

San Francisco, as I said last week, is a fascinating place which made me do a lot of thinking and self-analysis. It also needed a special 'soundtrack' to it. I totally overhauled my mp3 player and was playing songs that fitted in with the surroundings really well, however the song I ended up with stuck in my head was one that my friends kept playing and singing regularly.

Until recently I'd never heard of Joanna Newsom but San Francisco changed that. The 28-year-old singer/songwriter from Nevada City, California, has a beautiful and haunting style as well as being a talented harpist and my friends in San Francisco all love her. 'On A Good Day' features on her third studio album, 'Have One On Me', which was released at the beginning of this year.

This song is one that has captured a moment in time for me. It will always remind me of happy times with the lovely people I've gotten to know in San Francisco and I'm definitely going to check out more of Joanna Newsom's music.

Hope you all enjoy it!

Joanna Newsom - On A Good Day

Hey hey hey, the end is near
On a good day you can see the end from here
But I won't turn back, now, though the way is clear
I will stay for the remainder

I saw a life, and I called it mine
I saw it, drawn so sweet and fine
And I had begun to fill in all the lines
Right down to what we'd name her

Our nature does not change by will
In the winter, 'round the ruined mill
The creek is lying, flat and still
It is water though it's frozen

So across the years and miles, and through
On a good day, you can feel my love for you
Will you leave me be, so that we can stay true
To the path that you have chosen

No comments: