Sunday, November 21, 2010

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 21st November '10 - Bob Dylan - You're Going To Make Me Lonesome When You Go

I will state upfront in this week's blog the following facts. Fact 1 - In my head has actually been the cover of this song by the talented Mr Nick Stephenson( http://www.myspace.com/nickstephensonmusic/ ) but sadly there's not a copy of him singing it online. Fact 2 - The version you CAN listen to isn't Bob Dylan either as I couldn't find a copy of him singing it online to share. Instead it's a very good cover that I felt captured the 'feel' of the song that I found on youtube.

Though I've had some great times in Seattle, Trenton & LA since I left San Francisco, something of that time still keeps lingering with me. I think that, not since my first US visit when LA captured my attention, have I ever been somewhere that has affected me in quite this way. Both the atmosphere of the city and the people I met there struck a chord with me and this song, even though it was me who was leaving, sums up my sense of loss I felt when I left.

The song comes from Dylan's 1975 'Blood On The Tracks' album which is seen as one of his best. Though some people believe the works on this album to relate to Dylan's separation from his wife Sara, Dylan himself says they were inspired by the short stories of Anton Chekhov.

For me, it just reminds me of a special time and a special person who's left an indelible mark on my life and who made me lonesome when I had to go.

Hope you all enjoy it and please hunt down the original as well as checking out the great music Nick Stephenson has to offer!! Catch you all next week for my last blog from the US.

Bob Dylan - You're Going To Make Me Lonesome When You Go

I've seen love go by my door
It's never been this close before
Never been so easy or so slow
I've been shooting in the dark too long
When something not right it's wrong
Yer gonna make me lonesome when you go.

Dragon clouds so high above
I've only known careless love
It's always hit me from below
This time around it's more correct
Right on target so direct
Yer gonna make me lonesome when you go.

Purple clover Queen Anne lace
Crimson hair across your face
You could make me cry if you don't know
Can't remember what I was thinking of
You might be spoiling me too much love
Yer gonna make me lonesome when you go.

Flowers on the hillside blooming crazy
Crickets talking back and forth in rhyme
Blue river running slow and lazy
I could stay with you forever
And never realize the time.

Situations have ended sad
Relationship have all been bad
Mine've been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud
But there's no way I can compare
All those scenes to this affair
Yer gonna make me lonesome when you go.

Yer gonna make me wonder what I'm doing
Staying far behind without you
Yer gonna make me wonder what I'm saying
Yer gonna make me give myself a good talking to.

I'll look for you in old Honolulu
San Francisco, Ashtabula
Yer gonna have to leave me now I know
But I'll see you in the sky above
In the tall grass in the ones I love
Yer gonna make me lonesome when you go.



No comments: