Sunday, November 7, 2010

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 7th November '10 - Bat For Lashes - Sleep Alone

It was only when her most recent album came out that I started to appreciate the music of Natasha Khan, aka Bat For Lashes. Oddly enough we both went to secondary school at the same time in the same town (though different schools) and, while I didn't skive off school to listen to music, from what I've read about her our experiences at that age were somewhat similar. However, while I have drifted through life and I'm still trying to work out where I'm going, she seemed to know what direction she wanted to go in and got a degree in music and visual arts before taking on a job as a nursery school teacher while she wrote and recorded her debut album 'Fur And Gold' which gained her a Mercury Music Prize nomination in 2007.

'Sleep Alone' was the third single from her second album 'Two Suns' and it was the song that totally captivated me and made me want to check out her work further. While walking the streets of San Francisco this last week it has been the song that I keep going back to as it feels comforting. It has an other-worldy quality to it that sucks you in and wrapps you up in the melody.

I've been feeling very solitary in San Francisco for the most part though not in a lonely way. I feel like I'm working out who I am while I'm here and what I want in life. Coming to terms with my conclusions may take a little longer but I'm starting to feel like I don't need to be in a relationship to be happy and nor do I feel like I would be much good at relationships either as I'm too selfish and not a great communicator when I'm actually really interested in someone. I communicate better when I don't seek anything from someone emotionally. 'Sleep Alone' has helped me ease through this decision and actually has made me feel comfortable with it all.

I really love this week's song and all the work by this artist and I hope you all enjoy it too!!

Bat For Lashes - Sleep Alone

You know my darling;
I can't stand to sleep alone.
No sweetheart in the dark to call my own,
You're my own, you're my own.
I can sing it I can groan.
But the darkness is a stranger,
And I'm lonely, lonely, lonely, low ...

Last night's parties and last night's horror show.
Smiling and whirling and kissing all I know!
Give my soul, give my soul,
Sing it free across the sea!
A lonely spell to conjure you
But conjure hell is all I do.

Lonely, lonely, lonely!
Cause my mama told me,
The dream of love is a
Two hearted dream

Lonely, lonely, lonely!
Cause my mama told me,
The dream of love is a
Two hearted dream ...

The say for every high high
There must be a low, low, low
For every sun ascending
A lonesome moon will grow, grow, grow, grow
Drive my heart, drive my heart
Into the fire of a burning heart's desire!
A lonely spell so you be seen,
Do you hear me coming from my blue dream?

Lonely, lonely, lonely!
Cause my mama told me,
The dream of love is a
Two hearted dream

Lonely, lonely, lonely!
Cause my mama told me
The dream of love is a
Two hearted dream...

No comments: