Saturday, December 4, 2010

Song Stuck In My Head This Week - 04th December '10 - The Avett Brothers - I And Love And You

Though I didn't exactly discover The Avett Brothers when I was in America - I first encountered them on the BBC's Glastonbury coverage - but it was on my trip to America that made me fall in love with them.

Formed in 2000 out of the roots of Scott & Seth Avett's band Nemo, they brought in stand-up bass player Bob Crawford and set about work on their first full length studio album, 'A Carolina Jubilee' (which was preceeded by the live album 'Live At The Double Door Inn'). A second album, 'Mignonette', was released in 2004 and then 'Live Vol. 2' in 2005.

In 2007 the band made their first appearance on TV in the US on 'Late Night With Conan O'Brian' and released their third studio album 'Emotionalism' (which I love). Then 2009 saw the release of their fourth studio album 'I And Love And You', the title track of which was the first song of theirs I heard.

When I arrived in Los Angeles for the first week of my trip I discovered that the band were playing at the Nokia Theater. Now, as I knew little about them, for them to be playing the same venue where I'd seen The Who a couple of years previous was a bit of a shock. I toyed with the idea of paying the $40 for a ticket but then wondered if it was wise spending that much money to see a band I knew little about bar one song. This was a decision I came to regret. By the time I got to San Francisco the dvd 'Live Vol. 3' had been released and I decided to buy a copy to see what I thought. I was blown away.

Also featuring Joe Kwon on Cello and Jacob Edwards on drums, The Avett Brothers infuse bluegrass, country, punk, pop melodies, folk, rock and roll, honky tonk, and ragtime together to make some of the greatest music I've heard in a long time. I just hope they play in the UK next year so I can make up for my lack of good judgement in Los Angeles.

As I said, 'I And Love And You' was the first song I heard - the actual Glastonbury performance is the video I'm using this week - and it's just such a sweet song and it's easy to fall in love with in my opinion.

Hope you all enjoy it & I'll catch you all next weel!

The Avett Brothers - I And Love And You

Load the car and write the note
Grab your bag and grab your coat
Tell the ones that need to know
We are headed north

One foot in and one foot back
But it don't pay, to live like that
So i cut the ties and i jumped the tracks
For never to return

Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in
Are you aware the shape I'm in
My hands they shake my head it spins
Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in

When at first I learned to speak
I used all my words to fight
With him and her and you and me
Oh but its just a waste of time
Yeah its such a waste of time

That woman shes got eyes that shine
Like a pair of stolen polished dimes
She asked to dance I said it's fine
I'll see you in the morning time

Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in
Are you aware the shape im in
My hands they shake my head it spins
Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in

Three words that became hard to say
I and love and you
What you were then, I am today
Look at the things I do

Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in
Are you aware the shape I'm in
My hands they shake my head it spins
Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in

Dumbed down and numbed by time and age
Your dreams to catch the world, the cage
The highway sets the travelers stage
All exits look the same

Three words that became hard to say
I and love and you
I and love and you
I and love and you

No comments: